Derek V. Baker is a licensed realtor with Keller Williams in McKinney, Texas in one of the fastest growing real estate markets in the country. Until recently, he has served on the KW McKinney Agent Leadership Council, and is a top producer in his market center.
Prior to his career in real estate, Derek was a conservative political activist for 25 years, working in Congress for members of the U.S. Senate and House. Derek served on the staff of then-Representative Mike Pence (R-IN), Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX), Representative Jeb Hensarling (R-TX), and the U.S. House Republican Study Committee as a senior policy analyst.
Derek received his Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Business, and Religion from Liberty University. Before returning to Texas in 2011, Derek also served as the Director of Federal Affairs for Americans for Limited Government.
Derek was twice elected President of the Collin County Conservative Republicans (CCCR) and until recently served as CCCR’s Finance Chairman. Elected in 2012, Derek currently serves as the Precinct Chair of Precinct 131 in McKinney, and also serves as a member of the Government Affairs Board of the Collin County Association of Realtors. He was also appointed to serve on the Collin County Child Protective Services Board in 2012 by Commissioner Matt Shaheen, and reappointed in 2016 by Judge Keith Self. Derek was elected by his colleagues to serve as the Treasurer of the CPS Board for two terms, and currently serves as the Assistant Treasurer. Derek also serves as a board member for a related charity that assists foster children and their families in Collin County, Foster Friends.
Derek lives in McKinney with Melissa, his wife of 16 years, and they have three children, Reagan (14), Austin (11), and Lincoln (8). Derek and Melissa currently home-school their children, and Derek enjoys teaching American Government and Economics at his home-school coop to high school students. Derek is a sports enthusiast and amateur athlete, having competed in over a hundred 5k and 10k races and over a dozen marathons and triathlons.
Derek grew up in Sherman, Texas and is an 8th generation Texan. Derek and his family are active in church and in service to the community.
EXPERIENCE & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY (2013-PRESENT)
Residential Real Estate Agent, Active in Collin, Denton, Dallas, Tarrant, & Grayson Counties
• Assist residential and commercial clients with their real estate needs in the North Texas region.
• Associated with Keller Williams N. Collin County (#1 broker in region).
• Achieved Top Producer status (top 15% out of 300+ agents) in my brokerage
• Served on Keller Williams Agent Leadership Council (ALC; 9 out of 300+ agents)
INTERNATIONAL DATA MANAGEMENT (2010 – 2012)
National Account Manager
• Collaborated with clients to streamline data flow, eliminate inefficiencies, and increase net revenue in every facet of client’s database operation and fundraising process.
• Identified prospective clients and demonstrate expertise by testing a prospect’s fundraising model and presenting more successful techniques based on statistics, modeling, and experience.
AMERICANS FOR LIMITED GOVERNMENT (2009 – 2010)
Director of Congressional Affairs
• Implemented ALG’s legislative and political agenda by daily interacting with and lobbying federal elected officials and key congressional staff on potential and pending legislation.
• Published the Capital Guardian, a hard-hitting daily political article on the latest national political events and legislative activity; grew readership from 300 to over 4,000.
CONGRESSMAN PAUL BROUN – 10TH DISTRICT, GA (2007 – 2008)
Deputy Chief of Staff & Legislative Director
• Spearheaded legislative strategy to increase Member profile, drafted numerous speeches and issue briefs, and managed legislative team of five people.
• Crafted and introduced over 15 separate bills or amendments on behalf of Member, eight bills within eight straight weeks, and coordinated press and outreach with outside organizations.
• Fielded press inquiries and drafted statements, press releases, articles and speeches for the Member.
• Coordinated franked and constituent mail program, and wrote copy for targeted district mailings.
HOUSE REPUBLICAN STUDY COMMITTEE (2005 – 2007)
Senior Policy Analyst – served Chairman Mike Pence (IN-06) and Chairman Jeb Hensarling (TX-05)
• Analyzed hundreds of bills being considered on the House floor from a Constitutional perspective and wrote extensive legislative bulletins and policy briefs to RSC House Members and senior staff.
• Drafted legislation and amendments for Members and staff, and actively stalled or blocked legislation viewed as unconstitutional or overly burdensome to private industry and liberty.
• Covered the following issue areas and relevant committees: ethics, government reform, judiciary, immigration, small business, trade, and pro-life and pro-family issues.
CONGRESSMAN JEB HENSARLING – 5TH DISTRICT, TX (2003 – 2005)
Legislative Assistant / Office Manager
• Counseled Member on issues pertaining to judiciary, Constitution, crime, education, Second Amendment, faith and family issues, trade, and tort reform.
• Researched pending legislation and monitored House floor activity and committee activities within my jurisdiction, and provided briefing papers and drafted policy memos for Member’s use.
• Served as staff expert and liaison on issues regarding House ethics, Franking, and MRA rules.
• Managed office budget, including payroll, benefits, expenses, equipment and purchasing.
INTERNATIONAL DATA MANAGEMENT, INC. (1999 – 2002)
Senior Account Executive
• Managed Washington, DC client services office and account staff of six people and lead sales team three years running in up-selling to current clients.
• Provided expertise to non-profit, corporate, and political clients on the daily operation of their political or fundraising database, leading to increased profIts for clients and company.
U.S. SENATOR PHIL GRAMM (1987 – 1996)
Director of Administration & Outreach (Gramm for Senate Campaign)
• Held a variety of positions of increasing authority and responsibility over a 10 year period.
• Managed correspondence process and staff and fulfilled thousands of constituent inquiries.
• Drafted campaign operating budget of $4.5 million, and negotiated leases below market rates.
Director of Administration (Gramm for President Campaign)
• Managed 15 staff, including front office, information systems, administration, and correspondence.
• Responsible for $2.1 million administration budget; reduced projected budget by $350,000.
• Conceived of and implemented the first presidential campaign Internet website.
Special Projects Assistant (U.S. Senate office)
• Drafted and coordinated all facets of targeted mailings on public policy issues.
• Oversaw and evaluated pool of over 1,300 military academy applicants annually.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – POLITICAL SCIENCE, BUSINESS, AND RELIGION
Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA
OTHER VOLUNTEER CIVIC & POLITICAL INVOLVEMENT
• Treasurer, Collin County Child Protective Services Board, 2012-2015
• President, Collin County Conservative Republicans club, 2012-2015; Vice-President, 2016, Assistant Treasurer, 2016-Present
• Collin County Association of Realtors Government Affairs Committee, 2015-Present
• Republican Precinct Chair, Precinct 131 in McKinney, 2012-Present
• Chairman & Founding Board Member, Texans for Freedom & Liberty, 2013-Present
• President, Collin County Conservative Republicans, 2012-2015
• Finance Chair & Board Member, Collin County Conservative Republicans, 2015-2017
• Elected and served as Delegate to the Texas Republican Convention, 2012, 2014
• Rick Perry for President & Rick Santorum for President Campaigns, 2012
• Andy Harris for Congress Campaign (MD-01), 2008 & 2010
• Michael Steele for Senate Campaign, 2006
• Bush–Cheney Campaign, 2004 Advance Team
• Pat Toomey for Senate, Primary Campaign, 2004
• Bush–Cheney Campaign 2000
• Active in various sports, and compete in 10k races, triathlons, marathons, etc.